Sunday, June 01, 2008

Augsburg


In my previous post, I inserted a picture of the top and steeple of the Augsburg church. (It looks nothing like Bethel, but I couldn't find a picture of Bethel, so I will have to take a picture when I am there and post it)

This memorial marker (technically it is not a grave because it is very new looking) can be found in the Augsburg cemetary which sits directly behind the church. I am so very fascinated with this place. It is only 7 minute drive from town and scenery is captivating....wheat fields, farm houses, barns, and beautiful trees. This marker is for Peter (1799-1890) and Henrietta (1800-1890) Schukar. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Peter was born in 1799! That was only thirty years after independence.

I wonder if the Schukar family is still around Augsburg. I wonder if they were first generation immagrants from Germany? I may have to do some research.

Beings that one of my new hobbies is exploring old country churches and cemetaries, this might become like a travel blog of death;)

No comments: