Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Becoming the Same Person All the Time

God does the work of transforming us from the inside out.
Psalm 16:7-9 (NRSV) "I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me. I keep the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my soul rejoices; my body rests secure" Something that has been working on me recently (from Renovation of the Heart in Daily Practice) "The ideal is for the whole person to do only what the heart directs. Spiritual formation in Christ is the process leading to that ideal, and its result is love of God with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength, and love of neighbor as oneself. Each aspect or dimension of the person will be a source of weakness or strength to the whole person depending on the condition it is in. The condition it is in will depend on the heart. A person who is prepared and capable of responding to the situations of life in ways that are good and right is a person whose soul is in order, under the direction of a well-kept heart, in turn under the direction of God"

No comments: