Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Hands

St. Augustine says:  "God gives where he finds empty hands."  I searched for an appropraite "cupped hands" photo on microsoft free clip art site and the majority of the picutres were of communion cups or coffee cups. I also modified my new "wounded hearts beholding God" (blog title) from St. Augustine.  He had a profound appreciation for confession and I have found his work entitled just that to be refreshing.  There is no pretense or pretending with him.  The empty hand image is one I like very much and often as I pray my palms will be open and lifted slightly up.  As to speak to God even with my body language that I want nothing more than to sit and receive.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love that picture, posture, prayer... what comes to my mind is that God never pours into our hands for us to just keep to ourselves. He gives and refreshes us for serving and loving others. He uses those gifts that He's poured into us to be poured out of us. An image came to my mind a while back of a large water jar that had cracks in it. The jar, to me, represented the brokenness of all of us. We're all wounded and broken and in need of filling and healing. In spite of the brokenness He uses us as He fills us... it leaks out because we cannot hold it in. We cannot hold in His glory and power. We cannot hold in His compassion and love. As He fills us we will "leak". As we look back over time we'll see where God "watered" through us, through our brokenness. In time we will see what He was doing in and through us. We will give Him the glory.