Sunday, May 06, 2007

Kansas Beauty

I am a "transplant" from the desert southwest.

The first time I visited Kansas, I immediately fell in love with the endless fields of golden wheat. My camera was filled with over two rolls of film with pictures of these rolling plains. Awe inspiring and awesome is Kansas especially during the end of May when the wheat is ripe and golden.

I wish that those who have live here and taken the beauty of this land forever for granted would be able to get a glimpse of it from an outsiders perspective. Those who print t-shirts and travel suveneers would no longer print things that mimic the beauty of this land such as: "Kansas Road trip...electric pole, field, cow....electrical pole, field, cow...electrical pole, field, cow...Kansas, next time I think I will fly!" Those who see our land this way must be visually or spiritually impared. They do not see the beauty with which God has God has graced us. They really do not see Kansas.

It seems earth day made the news this year more than most. I've been wondering if this recent "greening" of the public conscience is going to be a fad or a lasting appreciation for the earth. The green grass, the rich black dirt, the fields of golden are God's gifts to us.

I will miss Kansas.

No comments: