Saturday, July 04, 2009

"An Earnest Appeal to Men of Reason and Religion" from the Works of John Wesley (1743)

A skeptic inquires of John Wesley

He asks: "I hear....you preach to a great number of people every night and morning. Pray, what would you do with them? Whither would you lead them? What religion do you preach? What is it good for?"

Wesley replied: "I do preach to as mny as desire to hear every night and morning.

You ask what I would do with them: I would make them virtuous and happy, easy in themselves and useful to others.

Wither would I lead them? To heaven; to God the judge, the lover of all, and to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant.

What religion do I preach? The religion of love; the law of kindness brought to light by the Gospel.

What is it good for? To make all who receive it enjoy God and themselves: to make them like God; lovers of all; content in their lives; and crying out at their death, in calm assurance 'O grave, where is thy victory! Thanks be unto God, who giveth me the victory, through my Lord Jesus Christ."

No comments: