Thursday, July 02, 2009

Renovare Institute for Christian Spiritual Formation



This October I will begin what Renovare is calling "a two-year experience of becoming like Jesus." As much as this sort of thing might be "programmed," it will include four one week intensive learning times over the span of two years in Menlo Park, CA. Among the teachers are: Dallas Willard, Todd Hunter, John Ortberg, Trevor Hudson, and Emilie Griffin.

The term "spiritual formation" has become sort of in vogue. It is often stripped from the context of "Christ-Focused" and used generically for the spiritual quest of human beings. Yet, at the core, we know that there is no real formation or transformation outside the way of Jesus. We do not follow some generic, vague spiritual quest. We follow Jesus. Jesus, as we discover in the Gospels, lived a very specific and human life. He also emptied himself for us. When we follow Jesus, we trust that His life will be planted in us and grow.

There is nothing that could be better than becoming like Jesus. This kind of language should not seem strange to those who are familiar with John Wesley. Holiness is defined as love of God and love of others. This is the life that we are created for, this is the reason for Jesus life and death, being transformed from the inside-out!

I'm going to put all the "God-talk" on pause and get real with you. I am currently not appointed to a church. After fourteen years of ministry, I found myself run down, frustrated, and very disappointed with the current state of church. Not only that, but I was frustrated with myself as a follower of Jesus and as a pastor. Though some would automatically assume that by me saying this, I am saying that I suffered some sort of "moral" failure or that I was burnt out. Neither of these are true.

I simply realized that I didn't seem to be able to lead a church without losing my own soul. I'm not exactly sure why it is, it just is! It may only be temporary and yet, it may not be. I'm not sure if/when I will return to functioning as a pastor. There are moments when this makes me incredibly sad. Yet, one thing I am very sure of is that I want, more intensely than ever before, to follow Jesus. I want to listen to His voice, to be transformed by Him into His likeness, to love Him more and to love others better.

It is not as though I think that some program is going to "magically" make me like Jesus. That would be unrealistic and perhaps idolatry. There are no formulas for things of the soul. There are no quick fixes or syrupy concoctions to take. There is not a pill you can buy at your local pharmacy or book you can purchase at your local Christian bookstore. There is simply a way that you choose to follow, like putting one foot in front of the other, with the coaching and strength of the One (Jesus) who leads and also stands beside you, and breaths His breath into your lungs.

I hope and trust that those who read my blog are praying for me. You are trusted friends and I do intend to post some-what regularly here as I engage in this institute. Check out www.renovare.us

4 comments:

Joyce Peterson said...

Of course I am praying for you. Love you deeply and want what God wants from you.

Jeannie said...

Yes, yes, yes - isn't that what it is really all about! As much as I love dear authors, teachers & mentors & can risk elevating them above where they belong, it is truly Jesus I want to follow - I was taken by how the Renovare conference consistently through a variety of worship styles & speakers pointed over & over to Jesus - just to Jesus... may we each learn to follow him & his lead... I will be excited to hear how the institute goes - would love to look into it in future years.

Gypsy said...

Dear Pastor, I stumbled upon your blog entry as I was searching the web for reviews on the Renovare Institute. Like you I feel the need to take a long break before ministry steals whatever is left in my spirit. Would you kindly, comment on what your experience has been like? How are you now? Has it been a good experience for you. I would appreciate your reply. Thank you and God bless.

Unknown said...

About 23 years ago, I had a friend/Mentor/Pastor's wife who discipled a small group of us for 9 months. During that time, she had no set script, but books, scriptures, nuggets from various sources that helped her go through the time of finding herself as a woman/ person, not a Preacher's wife, Mother, or Christian. Through it she learned how to worship personally and intimately and showed us how to do that as well. I cherish that learn-ed experience and the time I caught the vision and life-style to practice God's presence in everything. Through the years, it has been the most valuable teaching/discipling and catching something much greater than all I had learned. Richard Foster, Brother Lawrence, the Mystics of old, have all been favorites. I am at a point to be challenged once again and thank you for your input. Today, I join your blog, to help in a sort of dry spell in my heart. Like you, no big horrible sins in my life, just needing some refreshment. Ellen