Friday, August 17, 2007

Conversation regarding Christian Practices

During the summer when Parkview FMC had a few different people filling the pulpit and no appointed pastor, they went almost three months without celebrating the Lord's Supper.

So, it seemed fitting that we celebrate this sacrament the first Sunday that I was here. It also occurred to me in the midst of this that there is not a lot of appreciation regarding our practice of the "Lord's Supper."

From this point on, I thought it might be nice to bring people together and talk about it. We read one section of the liturgy, sit in silence for two minutes, then we ask questions. It is sometimes very difficult for people to ask questions instead of making propositions. Yet, in spite of a bit of discomfort, there are a lot of great questions. I like this format because it helps all of us look at the words as if for the very first time and ask God to speak to us through them. It is a good exercise in discovery! And great fun!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did my best to ask only questions Sunday evening! :-)
Linda W.

Unknown said...

That's a new one for me. Asking questions... I think I'd have to do it once before I 'got it.' My experience, when I was pastoring, involved doing some different things to help keep the service fresh. We served at the seats, or at the altar... we had people come forward to a table set for them, no 'visible' person holding the elements, but understanding that Christ was there to serve us. We've done this in silence, with canned music, with a video, with singing (band and acapella). Sometimes we used the service from the FM hymnal, sometimes with just scripture, once just the reminder of what we were doing. I've weaved the service together with music and message before also. In all of this I never wanted our people to come to that time thinking, "here we go again", but, "I'm going to meet with Jesus today!". No matter how we do it, it should always point to Christ and His work. That's my 25 cents.
Presently in the church I'm attending communion is served at the first of every month.They have not used the order of suggested service once, and we are always served in our seats. I did it differently one Sunday the Pastor's (both wife and husband are ordained) were gone and you would have thought the sky fell in. I suppose I came to put the Free back into Free Methodist. :~)
comments???
Lonnie in NY

Singertenor (Robert Nowlin) said...

At Sanctuary of Hope we are invited around the altar (which in Roman Catholic churches is more similar to a protestant Communion table). We hold hands during part of the liturgy, in which we participate in responsory dialogue. We 'pass the peace' in the form of a hug--sometimes with people whom I have never met! Then, the cup is passed around the circle with the words, "the blood of Christ," spoken by the most recent partaker, as s/he passes it to the next person. The same is done with the bread (wafers) with the words, "the body of Christ." For them, the sacrament is seen as the "miracle of water into wine," as the priest (Father Dennis) pours about one teaspoon of water into the cup of wine. I am particularly interested in the words used to reference the elements: "The Living Bread," and "The Saving Cup."

Joyce Peterson said...

Very very much needed - meeting Jesus at the communion table. I love that idea. It should really take the "here we go again" feeling away.

God Bless!!