Thursday, October 29, 2009

God's Abundant Goodness

A few days ago, I was having a bad day. There wasn't anything catastrophic happening, just a million small irritations. All the while I have been memorizing and meditating on Psalm 145. It is full of fantastic praising, thanking, and blessing God for who He is and what He does. (BTW...it is hard to memorize, but worth the effort, I believe!)

"One generation shal laud your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts. On the glorious splendour of your majesty, and on your wondrous works, I will meditate. The might of your awesome deeds shall be proclaimed, and I will declare your greatness. They shall celebrate the fame of your abundant goodness, and shall sing aloud of your righteousness. The Lord is gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love. The Lord is good to all, and His compassion is over all that he has made."

I carry the scripture that I am memorizing/meditating with me on big sticky notes. On this particular day, during a half hour break I had I sat down on a bench and read over it. I then began making a list of all the ways that God has worked in my life recently and all the goodness that He has showed me. Overwhelming!!!

Along with the exercise, the words of Dallas Willard came to me as he was speaking to us about "counting our blessings," he made one of those most insightful comments about nature and what a gift it was from God to us. He said "how can you be grumpy when looking at a beautiful rose." The rest of my day, I looked at life much differently. My physical body was still not brimming with energy, but my spirit was lifted and I was able to celebrate with all "those" who have eyes to see God's abundant goodness.

Here is just a sampling from my list: You cannot be grumpy when.....

you look at autum leaves

you hear children laughing

you remember that ten people showed up to help you move

you listen to your favorite song

you watch your dogs tail wag as she sees you coming home

I'm sure you have your own list. If you don't, maybe you should;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this.