Friday, May 23, 2008

MLB and Church- Makings of something Great



We quickly learned that in Southern Illinois people "have" to be Cardinal fans. Yet, one 94 year old woman in my congregation is a die-hard Cubs fan. I suppose no one challenges her because of her advanced years and dedication. No one tries to convince her any more that the Cubs are not going to ever win. (notice that they ARE in first place in their division and currently ahead of the Cards by one game)

As I have been musing about change and how difficult it is for all humans, I wonder if there is a lesson for the church to learn from MLB teams. For instance, the Cards are not doing all that well and some of the sports guys say that it is due to them having so many new(er) players. Perhaps, in spite of their emmense talent, they do not seem to have it all togather....the line up isn't right, the pitching is not all that consistant, they constantly leave lots of runners on base, etc... They are going through a rough adjustment period. They have what it takes to be a great team, they just need more team work and trust in order to make it happen.

Change in the church is often so very difficult. Here at Parkview, they have changed pastors. Other "players" have also changed. The adjustment period is no where near over and yet there is that same unsettleness that I sense with the Cards. In one sense, we have all the makings of a great church, yet, the pieces are not all working in synch yet and the team is not sure how to best work together. The trust that it takes to be a great church is not present.

Impatiently, I resonate with the Psalmist: "How long, O God" ...."search us, O God"

I am hopeful even in the midst of slumps, especially in churches because I know that if the Holy Spirit is calling us and empowering us....anything is possible, even the impossible! For instance: bitterness and grudges can be forgiven, cold hearts can be replaced with compassionate ones, and those who once exchanged hurtful words can shake hands and embrace one another. I know this can happen because I have seen it with my own eyes. I believe God wants to do this kind of miraculous work in our church and I am praying that it be sooner rather than later.

The Cubs have not won the World Series since 1908 and they still have many loyal fans. Like Dan Daley says "Being a Cubs fan has taught me a lot about church reform; for example, any church can have a bad century now and then."

A century is a long to to wait!

1 comment:

Singertenor (Robert Nowlin) said...

Is that a backdrop of the stadium behind you? It seems that the lighting is reflecting on the surface! Anyway, nice analogy. SOH is having lots of similar transitional issues (such as putting up with me :) lol).