Friday, June 29, 2007

Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing


In the last few weeks, Will and I have attended many different sorts of churches in many different places. From an indepedent-almost-charismatic, United Methodist, Episcopal, Presbyterian, and Free Methodist...they were all fascinating and offered something nutritious for the soul. Particularly interesting was that almost every one of them sang this wonderful hymn "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing."

As we have been wandering and discovering strangers turned into friends all along the way, I found these words resonating with my soul. My prayer in the last few days has been that more than anything God would allow me to be bound to Him. That our time of wandering would be directed toward God and that our foot steps would be envoloped in God's grace and goodness.

The picture is from one of the trails that we took. The trail went along side a creek and was packed with Aspen trees. Yet, every so often, there would be a clearing that was just packed with these wild daisies. Such beauty tucked away. One more spot along the way that calls out praise to God, the greatest artist of all!

Here is the version of the hymn by Robert Robinson that is printed in my prayer book:
Come thou fount of every blessing,
Tune my heart to sing Thy grace;
Streams of mercy never ceasing
Call for songs of loudest praise.
Teach me some melodious sonnet,
Sung by flaming tongues above;
Praise the mount - I'm fixed upon it -
Mount of Thy redeeming love.

Here I'll raise mine Ebenezer,
Hither by Thy help I've come;
And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home.
Jesus sought me when a stranger,
Wandering from the fold of God;
He, to rescue me from danger,
Interposed His precious blood.

O to grace how great a debtor,
Daily I'm constrained to be!
Let Thy goodness, like a fetter,
Bind my wandering heart to Thee:
Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it,
Prone to leave the God I love;
Here's my heart, O take and seal it;
Seal it for Thy courts above.

No comments: