Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Only in ABQ


Having been away from here for many years, I am enchanted by things that are distinctively New Mexico.

Sunday evening, we saw Albuquerque Isotopes (albuquerquebaseball.com) get absolutely slawtered by the Memphis Redbirds (ironically an affiliate team of the St. Louis Cardinals). The mascot is so adorable. One ABQ distinctive feature is the race around the bases in which the red chile, green chile, and taco see which can make it to home plate first. My sister says that the two chiles are mean to the taco, but she cheers for green chile anyway. It just so happened, that Will and I had gone to get some food right before this race. "I cannot believe they have posole at the ballpark" Will kept saying as I ordered a bowl and proceeded to enjoy it and accidently spill it down my leg and onto my sock and shoe. (Posole is a traditional New Mexico stew containing a hominy type corn, chile, pork, and spices) The red chile reminants on my leg and sock became quiet a treat from Basil later on that evening. When we returned to our seats, the chiles and taco were running the bases and I felt compelled to root for the red chile because I was in the midst of consuming some of the most tasty ball park cuisine in the country....red chile posole. Can you believe that they have it at the ball park? Only in the Land of Enchantment!

Another thing that is so distinctively NM is the tumble weeds. See the one that my sister is displaying, it is huge but not at all the biggest that I have seen.

1 comment:

Singertenor (Robert Nowlin) said...

Those distinctively California as well!