Saturday, June 30, 2007

Longing for more beauty


"The sweetest thing in all my life has been the longing...to find the place where all the beauty came from." C.S. Lewis

I remember the first night that we camped in the mountains in Utah, I was kept awake almost the whole night by the beauty of our surroundings. The moon was just shy of full and made the place bright. The white aspen bark glowed. The reflection of the brightness on the lake and the millions of stars shining was more beauty than I could soak in....even staying up most of the night.

Each evening as we prepared and ate dinner around the fire, up to 15 deer would gather in the field between the water and our site. They were gracefully eating and interacting with one another. Their beauty was also captivating.

These things always serve as a reminder to me that God is big, living, and the master artist. I will forever long for more beauty and long for the originator of this beauty.

"As a deer longs for flowing streams, so my soul longs for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and behold the face of God?" (Psalm 42:1-2) and another Psalm that has been working on me: "O God, you are my God, I seek you, my soul thirsts for you; my flesh faints for you, as in a dry and weary land where there is no water." (Psalm 63:1)

1 comment:

Joyce Peterson said...

WOW!! How beautiful!!! Yes, God is the master painter. I thought of the song "How Big is God". Part of it is

"How big is God how big and wide is his domain
To try to tell these lips can only start
He's big enough to rule his mighty universe
Yet small enough to live within my heart"

Remember,
He created this vast universe, but still cares for "little ol'e ME!!