Monday, October 15, 2007

Celebrating Accidents

A very popular Italian district of Saint Louis called "the Hill" is the home of a famous eatery called "Cunettos." I learned (Rachel Ray's Tasty Travels is the source) that Cunetto's famous fried ravioli was actually discovered by accident. Easy to picture, the ravioli is set a little to close to the grease pit and oooops with the knock of an elbow, you got fried ravioli!!! Sounds like a real tasty mistake to me. I wonder how the manger on duty acted toward the clumsy cook?!

Another thought about accidental food discoveries: have you ever had broccoli and guacamole? Don't laugh! It totally rocks. I discovered by accident when I thought I would drop the last couple pieces of broccoli into a taco salad that I was putting together. Now, there is no better match up. I even told Will that we should open a deli called BROC-GUAC cause it is so good it could go with anything. (if someone steals this idea, they MUST give me credit, if not money, for it)

A week ago today, all the schools and government offices around here (and perhaps everywhere else, but I have no evidence to prove or disprove this) were closed. The holiday was Columbus Day. He is one among many great people we now celebrate who had absolutely no intention of doing the things that they did. His "discovery" of the Americas was commonly thought of as failure in his day. Yet, in the long run, this little accidnet turns into something big and history is made. Other "greats" that happened to be at the right place at the right time and considered themselves more "accidental" leaders than intentional leaders are Harry S. Truman and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Great testimonies to the randomness of life....you head out to do something and you accidentally discover your niche.

When I fall into something...make mistakes...accidentally discover my niche, am I gracious enough to see the humor and laugh at myself? Am I so aggravated that things did not go according to my plan that I fail to see the humor in it? Am I too prideful to admit that sometimes these accidents are God's way of throwing me curve balls and helping me enjoy the crazy game of life with which he graced me?

What do you say that we create a holiday....maybe even set aside a day every week that we intentionally regard mistakes as things to be celebrated!

No comments: