Monday, October 01, 2007

Old State Capital


Our city's history goes back to the state's inception. Vandalia, Illinois is the oldest existing Capitol city which served the State of Illinois for 20 years, from 1819-1839. ( more Vandalia history can be found on the city web site http://www.vandaliaillinois.com/)

A couple of weeks ago, Alice, my mom and I went and toured the old state building. It is free to do so and we were all impressed at how authentic it looked. I was not actually alive during the 1830's but, the candles, basin and pitcher, and feather pens remind me that electricity, indoor plumbing, and instant communication have not always been with us.
The original capital building that was on this site was very small. This structure was build in 1836 and was red brick. The pilars and white paint are recent face lifts.
For you out of town folks, you are invited to come and check all of this out on your own and I would even accompany you to see all this fascinating history. We love having company and do not have any reservations for our guest accomodations for the holidays. Believe me, it is right around the corner!

2 comments:

Joyce Peterson said...

I LOVE OLD things (since I am now one!). I can't wait to see your city.

Anonymous said...

By the way...thanks for having us recently. We enjoyed getting to see your new place and spend some time with you.