Wednesday, October 03, 2007

A Hymn by Anne Steele

Here is a hymn written by Anne Steele written upon hearing the news of her fiance's death. "From its mving words, it is evident that she was able to bring her lament before God and receive solace from him." from Prayer and Worship, by Renovare, page 87.

When I survey life's varied scene
Amid the darkest hours
Sweet rays of comfort shine between
And thorns are mixed with flowers...

In grief and pains Thy sacred Word
(Dear solace of my soul!)
Celestial comforts can afford
And all their power control

When present sufferings pain my heart
Or future terrors rise
And light and hope almost depart
From these dejected eyes

Thy powerful Word supports my hope
Sweet cordial of the mind
And bears my faiting spirit up
And bids me wait resigned

And oh whatever of earthly bliss
Thy sovereign hand denies
Accepted at Thy throne of grace
Let this petition rise

"Give me a calm and thankful heart
From every murmur free
The blessings of Thy grace impart
And let me live to Thee

Let the sweet hope that Thou art mine
My path of life attend
Thy presence through my journey shine
And bless its happy end.

No comments: