Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Anniversaries

It has been just about a year since we left Kansas City. That house we still own has not sold. It's overwhelming how different life is now. I re-read my posts from around this time last year and remembered how it felt to leave without any idea where we would land.

"Land" is an interesting way to say it. Land is not all that valuable in the city. Our house has become impossible to sell in the last year. There are many reasons for this. One primary reason is that the neighborhood has a bad reputation for being infested with drugs and violence. The real estate market is depressed.

Truly, people in the city are not as connected with "land" as people in rural areas. Around here there is a great appreciation for land. The winter wheat is very green. It's awesome! Since there has been so much rain, most corn fields have not been planted.

Land represents livelihood here. And now that I think about our journey from a place that is the picture of change and chaos to a place that is stable, I wonder if I will ever feel any kind of connection to this place. I think I have definitely landed here, yet I still feel like I am not at home.

So much has changed, yet not so much really. It is still a life of faith that I live with or without a piece of land..."Your statues have been my songs wherever I make my home." (NRSV).... "I set your instructions to music and sing them as I walk this pilgrim way." (the Message) Psalm 119:54

1 comment:

Dr. Jack Lumanog said...

Thanks for reading up on my stuff. I couldn't resist taking pictures as I try to do that every year as a remembrance of the time away. I didn't blog until I got home and caught up on office stuff. I just copied and pasted excerpts from my journal. The nice thing about the monastery is that it's usually in a far away location that there's not a cell tower for miles and I'm not tempted to check e-mail or call anyone.

I had no idea about your house back in KCK. That is such a sad state of affairs for your old neighborhood. God have mercy on our cities.